Sale PSA: The most adorable Alice & Olivia off the shoulder dress (I almost bought this in Maui if I could have tried it on, it’s better in person), 25% off, the classic black Falabella shoulder bag from Stella McCartney, now 30% off, LOL kitty flats from Charlotte Olympia, now 25% off, and a cropped denim jacket from AG, now 30% off (I have been searching for the perfect one, please tell me if you have suggestions)
1. I’m probably the last person in the world to try these, but I recently picked up these FENTY sneakers and love them! They’re very comfortable and easy to wear year round.
The creeper sole is substantial but lighter than I thought it would be, and you could easy wear them for a day of city walking, etc. That said, I wouldn’t use these for actual exercise, but for an everyday casual pair of sneakers – a great option, and the black patent keeps them clean. Recommended!
2. My favorite sort of article, which combines gossip and fashion – a great little Page Six article about all the pettiness and politics behind the Met Gala . Although after reading this, and seeing everyone who attended, I’m a little surprised by some of the invitees. There were a lot of tweens, no? Where was Cate Blanchett? More photos of Isabelle Huppert, please! Maybe I’m just a old grouch.
3. Tired of Met Gala coverage? Sorry but I can’t help it…another great article, via the WSJ Untold Story of the Met Gala, Wrinkles and All. Do you legally have to wear a seat belt in New York? I don’t think most gowns are seat belt friendly
4. An rather unsatisfying (in terms of pure info) update on the Jon Lonsdale controversy – if you need some background, you should read this NY Times piece first, which is far better anyway. Honestly I wish the update had been written like the Times piece – would have been a much better read.
5. No book recommendation this week – instead I’m plugging a TV show, one of my favorites right now, Harlots.
Period drama + feminist point of view + lots of salacious content? This is a show pretty much made for me, and I love it. The casting is also superb, especially with Samantha Morton as one of the heads of rival houses (remember her as the girl in Minority Report? How times have changed!).
Are any of you watching this? I’d love to hear if you love it as much as I do.
Also, if you want to read a great book on the topic of harlots – I highly recommend Slammerkin, by one of my favorite authors, Emma Donoghue.