1. I used to place orders at J.Crew all the time, but it’s probably been more than a year since my last one. My local store is always empty too – but there’s actually a lot of great basics now, I discovered!
In my shopping cart currently is this tipped contrast color cable sweater – I love the subtle contrast (and it also comes in ivory and tipped black). I’m actually liking quite a few items on the site currently, and I wonder if the quality has improved.
Have you been to a J.Crew lately? Do you think the brand can recover?
2. Tory Burch is starting a new sportswear line, Tory Sport – an interesting article delving into the woman, and the brand, via NY Mag.
3. Did you know that The Met got a new logo? What do you think – is it the equivalent of a “typographic bus crash”?
4. Thank you to Alice for sending along this fascinating article, via The New Yorker: The Golden Generation – Why China’s Super Rich Send Their Children Abroad. I have to shamefully confess that I watched a few episodes of the YouTube show mentioned (in my defense I was super pregnant and not entirely mobile), and would not recommend it. Just read the article instead!
5. My reading this week – The Accidental Tourist, by Anne Tyler.
I love fiction about ordinary life, ordinary people – and Anne Tyler is a master in this genre. I’d read a few of her past works, but The Accidental Tourist has been my favorite so far. The story of Macon Leary, a writer of travel guides for travelers who wish to avoid as much interaction with the local culture as possible, is bittersweet, and so believable. Highly recommended.