Last month when I shared my review of the Mansur Gavriel bucket bag, I shared some photos of it on yours truly. That day I happened to have been wearing one of my favorite “kick around” dresses – a terry fleece number from Old Navy. I got a lot of questions about the dress, which I was so happy to share because it was seriously so cheap and I wear it all the time!
Sadly, that particular dress is currently sold out, but I thought I would take the opportunity to share with you some of my favorite buys under $100 – with most closer to the $50 mark. With the exception of the Topshop skirt, these have all been tested for at least a year of frequent wear, and they’re still amongst my favorites and going strong. So even though they’re a bit easier on the wallet, none have ended up as “fast” fashion throwaway items. Enjoy!
1. Old Navy plaid flannel shirts. Oh, I love these shirts. I probably wear them a good amount of the time in the fall/winter seasons. Some complain that the quality is off, and they aren’t the thickest, warmest flannel out there, which is true. But that actually makes me like them better, since they’re easier to layer and I can wear them from fall and even into spring. I bought these three last year and am contemplating adding a fourth! I can usually find them on sale for around $20.
2. Topshop Scuba Skirt. Normally I wouldn’t recommend an item I hadn’t worn and tried out for a while, but I just picked this up yesterday and like it so much I had to include it. It’s a great little black skirt for fall to pair with tights. The scuba material feels more expensive than it is, and it doesn’t seem like it’ll show wrinkles after you sit down. Yes, the flippy black mini may be a little young – but so far, my Benjamin Button chants aren’t working out and I’m only getting older! So I thought I’d try this out while I still have the chance. Plus, it’s a wee bit longer than it looks here. Full price is under $50.
3. Gap Broken In Straight Khakis. I bought a few pairs of these (in green khaki and red) back when we were going on safari, and they’re both still going strong. Really comfortable cotton pants that are that perfect loose, but not too baggy shape that are still flattering to the body. I think everyone should try out at least the green army color they make each season. Frequently can find them with a code for around $40 or less.
4. Ann Taylor Slim Knit Pants. My favorite black pants ever. I’ve been saying that in this blog for years, and it’s still the case. Really comfortable and flattering. I had a slight scare when I went to go look these up on the Ann Taylor site and thought they had been discontinued – I was prepping the “buy” button to snap up two more emergency pairs, that’s how dedicated I am to these pants. These are on sale for around $60 right now, and usually are available at a similar promotional price.
5. Vans Perforated Leather Slip Ons. Mine are in the white and have reached an unnatural state where they are not suitable for public photography. Even so, they are one of my favorite “kick around” shoes and I’ll replace them with the black pair when the dingy level becomes too embaressing. Plus, I think they look quite chic and casual.
$60 at full price, what more can you ask for? I have to admit that I find versions from designers like Prada a little baffling – they look almost 100% alike (though I am sure the Prada are quite comfortable….I would hope so for 8x more!).
What are some of your sub $100 favorites in your closet?