Have any of you seen this movie – A Perfect Murder?
I first saw it when it came out in 1998 and I remember at the time thinking how glamorous Gwyneth Paltrow’s wardrobe and haircut was in the film. I’ve been able to catch it on TV a few times since in the years after, and it’s a good, if not outstanding, movie. Gwyneth’s closet though? Still spectacular! Her style in A Perfect Murder is undeniably expensive and luxurious, yet also very understated, and conservative (but never stodgy). She repeats many of the same items and pieces throughout, much like a simple peon like myself might. Thus, I’ve always found her style in the movie to be very inspirational.
I tried to Google some looks from the movie so I could share some favorites with you – however many of the photos I saw were fuzzy and I couldn’t find many of my favorite looks. So I decided to watch it again myself, and take some screenshots chronologically so I could share all of the great looks (hopefully without giving away any spoilers). I tried to do my best in this closet breakdown, though the movie is often set in a “darker” color tone, so please forgive the shadows. And remember as you’re scrolling through – this movie is 16 years old now. I’ve also added in some of my own suggestions for modern day versions of Gwyneth’s looks throughout, in italics.
So the first look – coming in from work. Hi honey (Michael Douglas in Gwyneth’s case), I’m home! Classic shirt, suit jacket, coat, and a hint of pearls.
Next, hanging out more casually at home – no more pearls, jacket or coat. But still very chic in the plain white shirt and cami underneath.
Dolled up for a function that evening. How perfect is her diamond necklace? So simple yet you know that this is an incredible piece. I believe this is Cartier.
The next morning – at work again! In her uniform of blouse + simple strand of doubled white pearls.
Out and about after work…in a lovely paisley shawl.
For paisley, I think you can never go wrong with Etro – they have heavier weights in winter, and lighter weights in summer.
Her super cool, unique wedding band.
Back at work! This time in a blue blouse and a sweater draped casually over the shoulders.
Her bag of choice (throughout the entire movie)? Hermes black box sellier Kelly with gold hardware, of course!
Heading out to lunch – I wanted to include this to show this killer brown shearling coat she wears throughout the movie.
Her necklace and earrings – all simple diamond solitaires.
Sitting down at lunch without her coat – love the simplicity of this buttoned cardigan.
Dropping her bag off at home, and giving us all another look. Hi Kelly!
Now…looking stressed (but impeccable and cozy to boot) at the police station.
Back in her coat now…and with her Kelly.
Hanging out in a cashmere sweater, in bed. Similar sweater from Equipment, here.
Eating dinner….with a chic silk scarf tied.
The next morning, back in her coat and an Hermes scarf.
The back of the coat. Look at it!
I haven’t been able to find a very close match to this coat, but this Burberry shearling is equally stunning.
Later at a friends..sans the coat and the scarf. Looking comfortable and very chic in what you can tell now is a slightly oversized sweater.
And last but not least, a black coat..
Underneath of which she has her white gold Cartier Panthere watch, with diamonds…
worn with this charcoal gray turtleneck. A very similar version, available via Equipment.
Even though this movie is almost two decades old, Gwyneth’s wardrobe still looks fresh and relevant today. Quite an amazing feat and one that I think shows how thoughtful her character’s wardrobe choices are. If I were to glean some lessons from all of these great styles, they would be:
1. Buy the best materials you can afford, (even in these darker and smaller shots, you can see the materials of her coats, sweaters, are all top quality wools/cashmere/silks).
2. A few simple but very high quality jewelry pieces can take you a long way. Simple diamond studs, a solitaire necklace, a doubled pearl necklace, a diamond necklace, and a white gold watch are all worn over and over again in this movie. They look classic, and are all forever pieces. But at the same time…
3. Have a few pieces that are just “you”. I thought that the choice of the Cathy Waterman ring was great and very unexpected. Not as “Upper East Side” formula as the majority of her wardrobe, and I think as a result, it made all her other jewelry choices seem more “individual” as well.
4. Everything should fit perfectly. Whether it’s perfectly formed to the body (like her evening gown) or perfectly loose (like her cashmere sweaters), everything fits to a T.
5. You can wear items, over and over again, as long as you follow the first four rules. Gwyneth wears the same coat, handbag, jewelry, and blouse throughout multiple scenes in A Perfect Murder. They never look tired. It’s a small wardrobe sure…but wouldn’t one that most of us would kill for? (Please excuse my pun! Had to do it).
Would love to hear your thoughts on the wardrobe in this ultra stylish movie. I hope you enjoyed the recap!