Sale PSA: An easy tie front tee from Caslon, now $24 (I like these for wearing with pant/shorts that have a higher rise, but when I’m too lazy to do a tuck, a gorgeous pair of suede detailed heels from Blahnik, now 50% off, and this gorgeous white woven tote from Dragon Diffusion, just $120 with code SALEONSALE (an amazing deal! Here are the multi-color ones, if you’re interested).
Nordstroms Anniversary Sale has also started, for those of you with early access (as I’m sure you have heard bull horned across the blogosphere). Just a few picks of mine (I’ll do a more comprehensive post when the public sale starts). This Stila eyeliner set (I buy two every year, my favorite eyeliner), this Diptyque candle set (all the scents are winners, perfect for by the bed), the classic Burberry quilted jacket (because I’ve seen women spat over these in store) , a cutaway jacket with included dickey by Veronica Beard (because this is one of the few designer items which usually sell out).
1. Once in a while, the perfect new color comes out of a classic item that makes you see it differently. Does that sound super cheesy? I’m pretty sure, yet I still stand by those words when it comes to this Gucci Soho Disco bag, in a gorgeous jade green.
I love green bags and think they can be a great addition to a mostly neutrals wardrobe, but they have to be the perfect green – enough oomph to make a statement, but not too bright, yet not too drab. My favorite is a forest/jade mix like this one. I do have to say Gucci always does excellent greens – maybe because it’s in their logo/house colors?
2. An oldie, but goodie that I came across, of Alaia criticizing Vogue and Karl Lagerfeld. How amazing is Alaia?
3. Another interesting read, via the NY Times, Fashion’s Full Disclosure – Or Not. To be honest I admire the fashion press which can write articles like these (which are necessary). I mean, it must be so tempting just to continue to accept the goodies and just roll on, right? How much pressure must there be from your peers just to shut up and keep going on glamorous trips?
4. A must read, via The Cut: 25 Famous Women on Their Favorite Books. Love this list, bookmarked.
5. I’m a huge fan of Joseph Kanon, so this week I read his latest, Defectors, about two brothers in the 1960’s, when one goes to visit his brother in Moscow, after he defected several decades back.
Defectors has all the same elements as the rest of Kanon’s work – lots of spy work and description of craft, gorgeous conversation, beautiful scenery. Highly recommended, especially for fans of Kanon.
By the way, if you haven’t read Kanon before and want to give the author a try, my favorite is still Leaving Berlin.