1. I have a slight obsession with cardholders, and collect them in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I recently came across the Saint Laurent version, and love everything about it! The color, shape, everything.
One day if I’m in the mood to really bore you all, I’ll go into detail about what makes a great cardholder, but I’ll just summarize for now and say that a great cardholder a) holds quite a few cards, b) is sleek, and c) can also hold coins and cash. I love this one because of that zip pocket which can also hold coins, tickets, cash, and anything else securely. And the color is great too. Adding to my mile long wish list.
2. A great piece, via Racked, with Patricia Field describing how the costumes/outfits in The Devil Wears Prada came together.
3. Like quite a few other people out there, I have a totally unjustified dislike for Blake Likely (probably because she’s tall and hot). Anyway, I enjoyed this snarky film review of her latest film – The Shallows – via The NY Times..
4. Another little article via The NY Times, about Brioni’s makeover – what do you all think? I’m not sure I’ma fan, quite frankly….but then what do I know? Is this the Hedi Slimane effect?
5. This week I finished The Girls, by Emma Cline.
The Girls is a book I thought I’d really like, and was waiting for to come out. It’s the story of a young teenage girl, who joins a cult (very reminiscent of the Charles Manson cult). Cults? Manson Family? Sign me up! For some reason however, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The language was a little too intricate and flowery at times, and it was hard for me to keep my interest. The plot didn’t grip me the way I thought it would. The subject matter however was so interesting that I kept plodding through.
The pacing and general feeling reminded me a bit of The Virgin Suicides – but a little more slow/muddled. I’d still give the book a shot if you’re interested – the writing is very well done, and perhaps it just wasn’t my personal taste. Please share if you’ve been reading or have read it! Have a great weekend!