1. Nicholas Kirkwood is one of my favorite, and in my opinion, slightly underrated shoe designers. I say slightly, because he’s already pretty famous, but should be even more. One of my favorite shoes he makes is the fabulous Beya flat.
I love the pointed toe (great for elongating legs) and the great stacked heel with metallic detail. The price at $425 is also quite reasonable (believe it or not…just take a look at what other designer flats are going for), and I feel like since its a flat, the cost per wear will actually be decent. You can also find this flat in even more yummy colors (like forest green), at Saks.
I also slightly suspect that Everlane was heavily inspired by this flat for a few of its shoes, especially for its Modern Point, which I love as a good lower priced alternative.
2. I really enjoyed this article about the Rules of Couture Shopping, via the WSJ. It was both informative and had a bit of a “Real Housewives” kind of entertainment value, ha! And for the record, I’d love to have something by Alexis Mabille, any day!
3. I found this article, via Business of Fashion, about the secret going-ons behind the Yoox acquisition of Net-A-Porter, very interesting. Warning – only those super interested in the fashion industry will probably find this article interesting. I also found the article a bit unnecessarily long…but it was a worthwhile read overall.
4. Ines de la Fressange fans, I enjoyed this little interview on some of her fashion favorites, via The Cut. By the way, is it true about her being sued by her maid? Anybody know the story?
5. This week I’m doing some fun reading – Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling.
I read Kaling’s first book, and liked it well enough. I actually liked Why Not Me? better though – she speaks frankly about her current day life, being successful in Hollywood, and what it’s like being a TV celebrity. I also especially liked her frank anecdotes about how hard she works, every day – instead of portraying herself as one of those “everything is effortless” celebrities, Kaling describes how everything she has achieved came via hard work and determination. It’s all in a witty, light fashion though of course…making it a fun and easy read.
Have a wonderful weekend!