1. Nordstroms’ Anniversary Sale went public today, and by now I’m sure you’ve read a ton of recommendations online and heard from others in person about the best items (you can find my Early Access post, here). Along with all the flashier goodies, I took the opportunity to add a few more items this morning which I always add each sale – pajamas!
I always try to refresh my PJs each year, which I think is perfectly reasonable since I wear them so often. This time, I picked up three sets.
On the very left is a black jersey set by Carole Hoffman ($49) – these are fairly unexciting but I will share my secret that they are my favorite for changing into on planes! Discreet and I don’t feel embarrassed if I’m traveling with a coworker. In the middle is a classic Josie “Happi” robe ($45) – I’m a sucker for kimono type items and this is one of my favorite light robes for summer. Great as an outer layer over flimsier pajamas and also as a coverup by the pool. And finally to the right is a sweet little PJ Salvage set ($59) which I bought to try out as I love the back detailing of the top!
I also bought a pair of TOMS sneakers which look a little sturdier than their normal offerings, in a nice textured boucle – one of the nicest materials I’ve seen from the brand, in my opinion.
2. Did you know that J.Crew is planning on launching a lower priced brand – J.Crew Mercantile? I had no idea until I read this article, via Business Insider. I don’t quite get the difference between this one, and J.Crew Factory (I guess Mercantile will be in malls…). Do you agree with the articles negative tone? I’m willing to give J.Crew a chance…but the concept is sounding a bit muddled to me.
3. I liked this fun little article, via i-D, about 35 realities of working in the fashion industry. I’ve heard some of these complaints before from my own friends, but some were definitely new! Anyone care to comment?
4. Now on a more serious note – this article, via Vanity Fair, about an $80 million fake bomb detector scam in Iraq, was shocking to read. Incredible that a scam of this magnitude was able to get off the ground in the first place…much less grow to the scale it is toady.
5. I started my maternity leave this week (no baby yet….just waiting now!) and have been on a bit of a TV and reading bender. My latest favorite is Don Winslow’s The Cartel, which I finished just days before the news about “El Chapo” Guzman’s prison escape came out. The book is a work of fiction, but does seem eerily prescient given recent events…and oh, that’s all I’ll say for now (no spoilers!).
I will say that I loved The Cartel, it is one of my favorite books that I’ve read in awhile. If you liked The Godfather or Cormac McCarthy, I think you’ll find this one very interesting as well. However, The Cartel for everybody…if you tend to like “lighter” novels, or more chick lit (nothing wrong with that, seriously), then I wouldn’t recommend this one. It’s violent and goes into great detail of the Mexican drug wars. So be warned…but, I’m a fan. I’ll be re-reading this one, for sure.